Real Stories by people who have experienced intimate partner abuse. The most of stories here have been provided by women. One of the most common forms of violence against women is that performed by a husband or intimate male partner. Although women can be violent in relationships with men, and violence is also found in same-sex partnerships, the overwhelming burden of partner violence is borne by women at the hands of men. This blog reflects that reality.
I hope these stories may help others in the same situation.
Warning: Some readers may find the graphic nature of these testimonies disturbing.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

True story: Woman in a abusive relationship?

Michelle's true story

Matt and I were together for six years. He beat me up for four of them. He didn't touch me to start with, but he used to call me a 'slag' and much worse. He made me feel useless, like I couldn't do anything properly on my own. It was worst when we were with friends - it was like he enjoyed making me feel small in front of them.

It wasn't all the time though and that's why it was so hard to work out what was going on. I talked myself into believing it wasn't a serious problem and no relationship was perfect.

The first time he ever slapped me we'd been out to a bar. We'd had a really good night because lots of our friends were there too. It was a laugh. But when we got back home he said I'd been flirting with his best mate, Darren. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even fancy Darren and anyway it was Matt I was in love with. Matt looked at me with this coldness in his eyes and said really quietly, “you tart". Then he slapped me.

After that it got worse but I stuck with him because every time he kicked or punched me he said he was sorry. And he always told me how much he loved me. Then I got pregnant and it got ten times worse. In the end he kicked me so badly that I lost the baby. That was when I saw the light and got out.

If I'd known then what I know now I'd have left him right at the start. I'll never forgive Matt for what he did.

It all happened a few years ago now but I haven't got over it completely. I don't know if I ever will. I'm in another relationship now with a great guy and I really don't believe he would ever hurt me. We're going to start trying for a baby but inside me there's this sadness about the baby I lost.

I never thought I'd get to where I am now and really I just think I'm so lucky - I've been given another chance.

Story Source: http://www.refuge.org.uk/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celulite, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://eliminando-a-celulite.blogspot.com. A hug.

cletsey said...

You have a very useful blog good that you shared this. Will certainly visit your site more often now.

pheromone cologne

Unknown said...

Your Story Was Interesting, Sorry That You Lost The Baby, But I Hope The Man You Are With Now Is Better Than The First One, If You Know What I Mean. Well Take Care!

Aurora's Vlog said...

Hello, i'm glad to hear that you are now in better relationship. I was in the same boat. It was verbal first, then it became mental then the last straw that I had to leave is when my Ex- tried to struggle me. Visit my site at filipinaaz.com